Sunday, November 25, 2007

 

I’ll bet the good part of my reputation on it.

One of the things that animated features do these days is use celebrity voices. Why do they do this? Is it because David Schwimmer, Jerry Seinfeld and Ben Stiller do great voices? No.
They’re famous, and the producers are willing to pay them more money, rather than someone good, to use their names. Hopefully you’ll buy the ticket before you discover the film is a dud. Here’s a good rule of thumb when choosing that animated feature, if the adds boast about the voices rather than the movie, don’t waist your money. Rule 2 Watch out for a film that advertises too much. Also, don’t bother watching anything that Dreamworks shits out.
Are you kidding? Dreamworks is doing better than Disney right now? How can you say their products aren’t popular?
Yea sure whatever. Haliburton is having another banner year too, and I don’t approve how they take advantage of a naive world either.
But hey, I here they’re making a Kung Fu Panda movie starring the voices of Cameron Diaz and Jack Black.
And hey, whatever, right? As long as animators are working my world is in tact.

The truth is that there has always been an inverse relationship between the integrity of a project and how much money you get paid. And the only thing that has changed these days is that I have to make a different kind on money, as it’s not just me anymore. It’s tough to find the good projects. I’ve been lucky so far but I see the thin line of integrity getting skinnier.

Where are the, “small crew with a good idea jobs” these days? Has it moved over to gaming? It’s certainly not in 3d. 3d projects have huge crews. Why have animated TV shows gotten so homogenous? Where are the good ones?
Good question Rob! Damn you are one hell of a question asker today. It must be Sunday night.

Well, in order to make the most money possible you have to appeal to the largest audience possible and everyone knows that the average American is an idiot. So keep the shows simple, give them what they already know, keep the budget ridiculously low and stick to the two major themes; sex and pop. You’ll make a buttload.

Does anyone else see the problem there? Right! I don’t really know any idiots. But that’s how the people running the studios see us. Are you offended? I sure am.

I know this is the same complaint that people have always had. The movies of the 70’s weren’t as good as the movies of the 40’s. Things were better when I was young and my back didn’t hurt. Parchment doodles will never be as good as the classic cave drawings.

What’s the solution? Why am I asking so many questions? I don’t know. I’m not even sure anyone reads this Blog anymore. It’s not like the earlier Blog. The food jokes the Haikus… those were the days….

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]