Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

the tower of talc

Only about 30 days to go and even though I'm surrounded by my family, I miss my home. Still, I think I might be able to hold out. I have a bit of a deal brewing in other areas (sorry I can't be more specific but deep down I know you don't really care about what I do) And All I have to do is relax with my wife and kids.
Anyway, the pool's nice. (If you find that jen and I mention the pool too much on our blogs, you'd forgive us if you saw the beach.)
What I never told anyone about Singapore is that, even though it's an island, it has the worst beaches in the world. It even has worse beaches than places that don't have beaches. Just off the coast are the freighters and container ships sitting in the creamy green water like turds in a punchbowl. Waiting to be unloaded. (Humm, that metaphor didn't work. maybe I should compare them to a summer's day, waiting to be unloaded....)
The two beaches that are even remotely swimable came from Indonesia, in the form of sandy land fill. I saw a map of where the beach used to be before they started adding on to the island, and it's way inland. In fact, if you were to walk from where the beach was to where it is now you'd have to walk, like, a long way. Twice as far as you'd have to walk if they were only half done. And once you get there there's a big ass drop off. Not the place to take two fledgling pollywogs. (Or as they like to call them here, kids.) Come on, as long as you're hauling sand from Indonesia you might as well drag the shallow end along too.

Really, there's no place to take kids on this island. Oh, you could go to the zoo and the bird park but once you've done it you're done. I suppose you could take them back through the exit and hope that the different order of the animals would throw them off. Or make some sort of plan to visit the animals in alphabetical order. That would keep my little pollywoggs busy. But there's still the heat.

There's shopping and eating. Eating and shopping. Then home for a swim. We are a little pinned down on the shopping because we have everything we need and there's a question about whether we can get our suitcases shut for the trip home. And as far as eating goes, well how much can a person eat? Once you've had the fish head curry, where do you go from there? Fish butt curry, (snicker, I never get tired of that one, snix)
O, tower of talc
you stack up higher than Jen
up on the table.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]