Sunday, February 26, 2006

 

A tousant apologies.

Ok so I’m a little freaked out by the fact that I never did find the picture of the guy with the birdcage suspended by the pins through his skin. But I did find out what he was up to. Apparently, it is a Hindu custom. The “bird cage” is called a “kavadi” and the event is called the Thaipusam festival. For some reason these guys walk from temple to temple and back again, all day. In the hot sun, they walk for fun. Periodically, people hang stuff from his rig, so that by the end of the day, like a shrimp net, it’s loaded down. I still didn’t find out why they do it. But, I guess I can let that one go. If I were the kind of a guy would go around doing some extreme religious thing, I don’t think I’d feel obligated to explained it to a tourist. (Especially a smart-ass like me.) The weird thing is the picture that I took vanished. I took a nice shot with the camera phone, just for the blog. And when I got home… notin! Now, here’s the weird part. In every picture that “G” took there was some guy blocking the shot. So he had no clear shots of the guy. Collectively we have no evidence that this guy even existed. I called “G” the next day and asked him if we really saw that or was I hypnotized into thinking I saw it.

Here’s what I ate today:

This is what is known as a century egg. Go on guess why they call it that, I’ll wait… No, it’s not because it cost $100.00. It’s because it’s very old. The eggs are covered with a coating of lime, ashes, salt and rice straw and buried in shallow holes for up to 100 days. The end result is a brownish/ clearish egg that tastes not completely unlike a standard hardboiled egg. I suppose it’s a nice tradition, or something for old people to do but if they are ever interested in saving a little time they might consider just boiling a couple and looking through a beer bottle.

Here is another little delicacy that I ate:

Yep, stewed chicken feet. The dish is called… Oh, hell I don’t know what the hell they called it. And I don’t really care. It didn’t taste that bad, but it wasn’t that good that I could get over the fact that I was eating feet. I think I might be a little jaded at this point. Eating all this stuff. I mean, I’m a pretty critical person anyway but, when people start eating feet I have to pause. When we had a visitor from another country come to visit I didn’t torment them with disgusting regional culinary atrocities.

Before you start thinking I have turned into a sour puss, here’s a picture of something I do like:


This is called Sate. Basically: meat on a stick that is cooked over a small grill. Nothing to it. Stick, Meat, grill. They also serve it with onions and cuecumbers, a small bowl of peanut sauce and some packed rice wedges. Naturally, we also had beer. So that made me feel a little better.

Next time: Butterflies and sunshine!! (the only two thing they don't eat)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]