Saturday, February 11, 2006

 

Indian foo

It was Per diem day Friday so I beat it down to the main office in the financial district to get my doe. It was S’s last day, lor. So, like you do in Singapore, we took her to a Northern Indian Tandori place for lunch. It’s not good enough saying we had Indian food, around here. That’s like saying we has a sandwich, back in the states. I’d tell you what we had but, really who can tell with Indian food. Is it beef? Is it mutton? Is it safe? Who knows? The whole reason I bring this up is because I wanted to show you this photo:

I don’t know what “G” said but it seems to have the waiter rethinking his career goals. I see this reaction so much from waiters that it doesn’t even register anymore. It occurs to me not that maybe even the people who work in Indian restaurants don’t even know what the lumps are in the sauce. That’s the lovely Clark quay in the background. Once the shipping hot spot of Singapore now the sipping hot spot, as it’s lined with bars and restaurants.

Here are “M” and “H” for those of you who think that “S”,”G” and I sit on the same side of the table at lunch. (we usually do but today we brought them along so that we wouldn’t flip the table over into the River.) Here’s a real fact about Singapore that I think you can amaze your friends with: The river running through Singapore is called the Singapore river. I felt distinctly foolish when I was told. I vowed at that point to never ask anyone any questions again for as long as I live. Do you think that's wise?
Here is a look of simple and overwelming confusion, equal to that of the waiters, as I try to figure out how to get the phone/camera’s flash to work.

Incase your wondering here’s how you get the flash to work on a Samsung camera phone: Don’t. Just hand it to “S”, she’ll mess with it for a while, take an equally confused picture of herself, then toss it back at you.
Today along the road outside the studio there was a parade, of sorts. The police had cordoned off a walking path along the side of the street. There, hundreds of Indian people walked south. I have no idea why they do this. There was really no one to ask. Maybe I should have gone back to the Subway shop and asked the owner. Anyway, As these sort of things do, it clogged up traffic into the night hours. One of the guys in the parade was wearing a giant metal cage, sort of thing. It looked to me like it weighted a lot. It had all sorts of religious symbols and trinkets dangeling all over it. The burden was increased by the fact that it was very hot out there… Oh yea, and the device was supported by huge needles jabbed into his flesh. Almost forgot that one. It looked like it hurt like hell and he looked like he was regretting it as he walked by. I hope who ever he was doing it for was impressed, because I sure was.I'll post the photo when I find it.
When I was a kid I was in a parade. I don’t remember if I was excited to bi in it or even questioned why I was in it. The only thing I remember was that it was a long walk. It was a little like the last hour of a canoe trip. You keep hoping the livery will be around the next bend. I couldn’t imagine how this guy felt, or feels now that (I assume) the parade is over. I suppose it is some test of willpower or a show of his ability to focus the pain away by thinking about something else. “Oh, god why did I agree to dis. I have to tink aboud someting else. Let’s see… uha I wonder if doze lumps at lunch were muddon or beef? Doze would be good on a shiskabub… Oh, ow, right… I forgot. Uha tink ah someting else…”

OK, so next Monday it’s off to the Philippines. I’ll be there for a week bugging animators to hurry up and take their time at the same time. Do I worry about forcing my work ethic on people of other countries? Nah! I didn’t in Manchester, Berlin or Paris. Why should I worry about Singapore or Manila.

I know about as much about the Philippines as I do about making hubcaps. So I’m thinking, about this time two weeks from now I’ll either have malaria and wish I was dead or I’ll be some sort of a minor authority on the inner silliness of Manila. Perhaps they too have deeply held religious beliefs that I can take the piss out of for the enjoyment of my blogites.

Wish me luck!

Next time: I shall return!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]