Tuesday, January 17, 2006

 

Year of the Blog

O where have you been,
my experienced golf ball?
What stories have you?

I don’t know what people pray for. I always figured that if I wanted something, it was up to me. I know that’s a sin in some religions. I know because I heard it on the radio as I drove through Ohio.
A few short weeks ago I would have prayed for Quicktime. But I didn’t think of it. But, now I have it. I have it because I was persistent and not afraid to make a fool of myself, and most of all because I have smart friends. Thanks Joe! Now the Quicktime program is installed and it’s nice, and I didn’t even have to bother the lord.






The Lord


What most people are going for here is prosperity. I think that’s a very admirable goal. It sounds better than, “winning the lottery”. Coming in close second is fertility. (I saw a list somewhere and forgot what number three was. It could have been to avoid Ohio.)
The Chinese New Year is a real big deal here. Go figure! The stores are all loaded down with red and gold things. Hanging things, growing things, eating things, you name it. See if you can guess why the color gold figures so prominently. I’ll wait…
It’s a good thing fertility wasn’t number one. (White isn’t a very festive color.) All I know is that I get three days off. Maybe I’ll climb aboard, and bang a gong and go worship some dead relatives. That’s when I’ll be told that I have my holidays mixed up.
I’ve been invited to a friend’s house for the traditional meal. It could be “heads ahoy” for all I know. But I’ll try to make a good show and eat around it. I think I’m supposed to take a gift and I’m pretty sure what I’ll do. (I’ll tell you because I haven’t told anyone here what the blog address is. And my surprise will remain intact. ) For the kids there’s red pocket money. Jen discovered this in Hong Kong. What you do is get a special red envelope and shove a couple bucks in it. Not completely unlike a fin in a birthday card from grandma. But, the envelope is what’s important here. Not necessarily how much is inside. (yeah, sure. That’s what we told grandma too.) Married people don’t get red pocket money (even though they’re the ones who could use the doe!) Red pocket money (like Trix) is just for kids …and singles.
The other thing people give each other is orange and yellow food. Tangerine, cumquats, grapefruit, nuts, candies… really old chicken. (just kidding there)
Again, orange, like gold. The neat thing is that they sell indoor plants with fruit on them. I wanted to get one just to have some fruit handy. But, I was told they aren’t for eating.











































This is the year of the dog. Tradition holds that kids born in the year of the dog are honest and faithful to those they love but they tend to worry too much and find fault with others. They also like to chase cars, run around and lick their nuts… and their cumquats and grapefruits… What? Oh, hey! You… with the sick mind! Stop right there. If you just got some nuts you’d want to lick them. Wouldn’t you? So just stop that! Geeeze, I can’t take you guys anywhere! (Sorry, it’s 1 AM) I’d tell you more about Chinese New Year but, that’s about all I know. I haven’t been through one. It starts in two weeks. Besides, lets face it folks, if you want the real facts you might want to Google them. Hey, it’s me remember? Maybe After it’s over I’ll recap.In the mean time, here’s what a festive tool kit looks like:














So, does anyone else think it’s a bad idea to give a tool kit to someone who’s just had a couple beers?

I scrape quietly
Into the bathroom with my
Holiday on ice.

Next time: Who are all these people?

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]