Monday, January 30, 2006

 

Everything but the football.

The best way to think of the lunar New Year is to imagine having three or four straight days of Thanksgiving. Friends, family, feasting, fighting, everything but the football (and the fighting, but I’ll explain all that in a later blog. if you are all good.)
They invite family to visit.

I also spend the time with my friends.

They have many elaborate feasts.

I too shall feast.

Actually, I’m just kidding around. The guy from work invited me over to his house for a feast (as was mentioned in a previous blog) I was planning to take hong bao (Red packet money) as a gift for the kids, but I was told that it was the wrong holiday for that. So for now I keep the doe! I also made mention of banging gongs and worshiping dead relatives; again, wrong holiday. That would be Ching ming and it is sometime during the summer.
So I bought a bunch of money colored flowers and had a feast. Here's a picture of what they call a steam boat.

Basically it’s a pot of hot water that you throw things into, let them simmer for a tick, then fish them out, put everything on a bed of rice for a second then wolf it down. I happen to love this. Anyone who knows me know that I live food that you have to fiddle with. Crab, artichokes, fondue, ishiaki…
And fiddle with it you do. I found out where the prawn balls go; (when not dangling from a prawn) into the water, bloop! And so also goes the rice balls, the clam balls, the beef balls the pork balls. …more balls than anyone’s ever seen. Including Elton John, I thank You. Hands up, who didn't see that one coming? OK I guess I've used up my quota of "prawn ball" jokes. So I'll stop now.
You know the stuff is done when it floats to the top. The meal took about 4 hours and there was still stuff left. It was FAN-tastic. (I found out that Fan is "rice" in Chinese, so I made a little pun there. I hope you all enjoyed that as much as I did)


By the way, the Chinese guy burps at the table and it seems to bug the Korean woman, though she never said anything. And everyone hates it when the Japanese slurp their noodles. Luckily, there were none there. (noodles nor Japanese) And as long as I’m at it, they aren't too fond of jokes about prawn balls or giant underwear. So let’s just keep this blog to ourselves, shall we?

Where did you come from
Jumbo, hangered underpants,
Hanging there like that?

Have you been misplaced?
Did you fall from an airplane
Into my stairwell?

And you look so clean…
At least I think you are clean…
I’ll get no closer.



Next time: They fall from the sky!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]